Meeting Minutes for September 24, 2010
Meeting called to order by Donald Barnhart at 1:07 P.M.
Donald Barnhart, Brett Barnhart, Patricia Barnhart, Mary Kay Solecki, Bruce Stikkers, Jamie Ellis, Jonathon Manuel, Amber Barnhart (by phone)
Donald asked for agenda items:
- Contact numbers for all board members
- Prairie Burn / Mowing / Purchasing Burn Equipment
- Prairie Seed
- Official Art work Thank You
- Reorganize the Board
- Video Documentary / Seed Diary
Contact numbers for all board members
Phone numbers removed for privacy
Prairie Burn / Mowing / Purchasing Burn Equipment
- Amber will help Donald to make sure that the required paper work is taken care of with Illinois EPA.
- Brett and Donald will take care of the mowing for fire breaks in the prairie.
- After some discussion it was decided that the Prairie South of the wind break would be best for the next burn. Jamie Ellis will head the planning.
- Some discussion took place about the Barnhart Prairie buying its own burn equipment.
- Mary Kay Solecki made the motion for the Board to purchase 2 Drip Torches, 3 soft water packs, 4 swatters, and 4 steal rakes. The items were not to exceed $1,100 out of the Barnhart Prairie General Fund. Brett Barnhart seconded the motion, the motion carried.
- Jonathon and Bruce will look to see if they can find any grant to match.
- It was also discussed to fix up one of the old hay rack wagons to be used as a burn trailer / hay rack ride.
- Mary Kay Solecki has 40 lbs of seed for the Prairie. It was decided to broadcast the seed over the fresh burn after a light snow fall this winter.
- The Board also agreed to use any other seed collected from the Barnhart Prairie this year to establish prairie on Donald’s 2 acres that are currently in row crops. Donald will inform the farmer of the Board’s Plan this winter so he can make the necessary chemical and planting changes.
Official Art work Thank You
Amber’s Daughter is willing to make some nice artful thank you letters for the Board to use for people that make donations.
- Brett Barnhart made the motion to accept the donation of the artful thank you letters for use by the Board. Seconded by Mary Kay Solecki, motion carried.
Reorganize the Board
Reorganizing of the Board was tabled until the January meeting.
Video Documentary / Seed Diary
A great deal of discussion was had on the video documentation of the Prairie.
- The Board felt it was a good idea; however; they did not feel it was a wise use of the Boards General funds at this time. Donald asked if money was donated for the Video would the Board approve? The Board agreed it would approve.
- Brett Barnhart made the motion to have a video fund started and any money donated for that fund may be used to begin the video history of the Prairie with a maximum expenditure of $10,000. This fund is to be Co-chaired by Amber Barnhart and Donald Barnhart. Motion Seconded by Jamie Ellis, motion passed.
Next Board meeting was set for January 12th at 10:00 A.M. for the Conference room at ICYT.
Meeting adjourned at 2:35P.M.
Respectfully submitted by: